June 16, 2023
We had an in person meeting this month as well as offering a ZOOM option for those unable to attend. Thanks to Patrick W9PDS for his assistance.
The meeting was called to order by our President Jim N9TK. In attendance besides Jim were W9ILY, NE9A, W9KXT, K9LSH, K9CJ, NV9X, WA9GQK, N2BJ, KA9IUC, N9LB, NV9L, WB9Z, K9IO, K9EL, K9AJ, K9DRS, WT2P, W9EWZ, W9PDS, K9GA, KC9EOQ, K9EGS, J88IH, K9CT, WA9LEY. Some in attendance were guests.
Steve W9KXT motioned to accept the May minutes, it was seconded by John W9ILY and approved.
HEALTH AND WELFARE No current issues were reported
- TREASURER’S REPORT John W9ILY reports that the Club had $120 income courtesy of N9TK who donated equipment that was sold at Dayton by one of our members. Detailed Treasurer reports are filed on our groups.io site.
- WUST No WUST awards to report.
- DAYTON Many of our members attended Dayton this year and those at the meeting said they had a good time and fun. Dayton’s reported attendance was approx. 33,800 this year.
- CONTESTS John W9ILY reported that Metro entered 2 teams in a recent NAQP contest coming in 82nd and 98th place. Not one for the record books but they are fun and we encourage members to join a team when the next NAQP contest is announced.
- DXPEDITION OF THE YEAR The Southwest Ohio DX Association announced that the 2023 DXpedition of the Year award went to TN8K, Republic of the Congo.
- FIELD DAY Our FD location will be at N9TK’s home again this year, the 4th weekend in June. The Club is providing Saturday lunch and dinner and Sunday lunch for those attending. All are welcome to come and operate. Our entry category will be firmed up before the weekend. We will be running wires into the wooded area behind Jim’s home and possibly a SteppIR vertical.
- OTHER FD NEWS K9CT and K9ZO will be operating from Fulton County using the call K9ILZ. Steve W9KXT will be at W9AA in Orland Park.
- CONTESTS Stew Perry 160 CW and All Asia CW on on this weekend. See the WA7BNM contest site for details on these and other upcoming events.
- DX ON THE BANDS Lots of DX has been reported on the Club reflector. A big DXpedition to Ducie Island has been active as well as VU7W.
- Thanks to Jerry WB9Z, Ralph K9ZO, George K9GA and others for all the DX spots they announce on the reflector.
- A motion was made to close the meeting and the meeting was adjourned.
We were excited to have Craig K9CT join us to present his experience obtaining and installing his new LUSO tower, model LTR44. It’s the newest addition to his world class contest and DX station. Craig explained that he has been thinking about how to increase contest rates and multipliers and also chase down DXCC Challenge countries. The LUSO tower was a big part of the solution. He explained issues getting a permit, transporting the antenna and what went into erecting it. It’s now part of an antenna farm that most of us can only dream of.
Craig’s presentation was recorded and will be sent via the reflector at a later time.
Submitted by Lee WA9LEY